Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Sign In

Office of the University Registrar

  • College of Agricultural and Life Sciences

    Home Degree Requirements Majors & ALCs Minors Certificates Contact

    Admission: Freshmen

    First-semester freshmen at the university will be admitted to the college when they declare a major. Students can remain in that major as long as they continue to meet or to exceed the critical-tracking criteria for the major. Students who fall below the minimum critical-tracking criteria or who fall below the minimum progression standards will not be allowed to continue in the major. These students must meet with an academic advisor to determine an alternative major.

    Admission: Non-Freshmen

    All UF students other than first-semester freshmen must apply to a major in this college. Students should first meet with an advisor in their major of interest. Unless otherwise specified by particular majors, students will be admitted to the major if they meet or exceed the critical-tracking criteria.

    Back to Top

    Readmission to the College

    CALS students who have been dismissed from the university for poor academic performance can petition UF and the college for readmission after one semester.

    Transfer Students

    A transfer student from a Florida public college must have an Associate of Arts degree (or 60 credits for students transferring from private institutions, four-year institutions or institutions outside of Florida) and satisfy the admission requirements for the intended major to be eligible for admission to the college. Prospective transfer students should consult the College of Agricultural and Life Sciences Transfer Guide to ensure completion of the required courses for admission to the college and the major of interest. Detailed information on transfer admission and university admission requirements is available from the Office of Admissions.

    Transfer students from other universities and non-Florida public colleges should complete the first two years’ requirements for the major before transferring to UF and to this college.

    Student Responsibility

    Students are expected to assume full academic responsibility for registering for and completing the proper courses and for fulfilling all requirements for the degree. Students should consult their advisors before registering for each semester to ensure that appropriate courses are taken in the proper sequence. Students who do not enroll in appropriate courses may not be allowed to register for the following term.

    College Probation

    A student whose overall grade point average falls below 2.0 is placed on college probation. The associate dean will notify the student that he or she is on probation and must remove all deficit points in two semesters or face college suspension.

    During college suspension a student cannot register as a College of Agricultural and Life Sciences student.

    College Retention Program

    The college works individually with students on college probation to provide them an opportunity for academic success at the university. The retention program identifies obstacles that could prevent academic success, provides structure and mechanisms for success and connects students to administrators, faculty and staff who are committed to helping them.

    Back to Top

    Critical-Tracking Criteria

    Students who do not complete the appropriate number of tracking courses each semester, and/or do not have the required tracking GPA, will have a hold placed on their record to prevent advance registration. They must meet with an advisor in their major to determine whether they may continue in that major.

    Drop Policy

    Students can drop courses during the drop/add period without penalty. Thereafter, courses can be dropped only by college petition in accordance with the deadlines. Drops requiring college petition are subject to the following rules:

    • After the university’s drop deadline, students must first meet with an academic advisor in their major and then submit a petition to the college office.
    • Students who withdraw from UF (drop all courses) must go to the Dean of Students Office, 202 Peabody Hall, to meet with an advisor.

    General Education

    Courses that satisfy general education requirements are listed by category. The courses listed represent the most expedient way to fulfill graduation requirements. However, students can satisfy degree requirements with alternative course sequences. An economics course is required for all students and this course may also meet general education requirements.

    The college requires all students to complete courses in oral and written communication in addition to the general education requirements. In majors where an equivalency is permitted, students should see their advisors for approved alternative courses. When majors list specific courses, students must select courses from the list.

    Back to Top


    By prior arrangement with an advisor and with supervision, a student may receive credit for practical work experience relevant to the major. Credit is earned at the rate of one credit per month of full-time work and cannot exceed three credits in any combination of work experience. A written report must be submitted before a (S or U) grade will be issued. Academic units offering this option list the course number 4941. Minimum criteria and general guidelines are available from the undergraduate coordinator for the major.

    College Honors Program

    The CALS honors program is for students who have completed 60-90 credits and have a 3.75 or higher overall GPA.

    CALS honors coursework integrates with required and elective courses in the student's chosen curriculum. To graduate as a CALS honors scholar, students must complete each requirement below and maintain a minimum upper-division GPA of 3.75.

    • ALS 3923 Honors Orientation (1 credit)
    • XXX 4915 Honors Thesis Research (3 credits)
    • Two additional honors courses
    • Honors thesis. Thesis projects are scholarly activities in teaching, research or extension that involve guided independent work. The student's project must have clear objectives and expected outcomes.

    CALS honors coursework is identified as such on the transcript. Students who complete the program successfully are designated CALS honors scholars and receive a scholar's medallion and certificate.

    Completion of the CALS honors program automatically qualifies students for graduation with magna cum laude or summa cum laude designation.

    Students who are not in the CALS honors program can still graduate magna cum laude or summa cum laude, provided they have the necessary GPA and complete the honors thesis.

    For additional information, contact the CALS honors program director at 352.392.1963.

    Dean’s List

    Back to Top
school-pages: policies