Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Navigate Up

Office of the University Registrar

  • Tracking Progress Toward a Degree

    Universal Tracking is the University of Florida's academic monitoring system that provides students with an assessment of progress toward degree requirements. There is a recommended semester plan for each major. This plan illustrates an optimal path for completing the degree in four years.

    Students' progress toward their degrees is monitored each semester to ensure that they are on track. Summer terms are not included in tracking and may be used by students to get back on track or to get ahead. Each fall and spring semester students are reminded via GatorLink email to review their degree audit on ISIS before advance registration for the next term. The audit fits a student’s courses and grades into the degree requirements for the major to show the student what is met and what the student still needs to complete.

    What is minimum academic progress?

    • Students do not have to complete all of the courses in the recommended plan each semester to remain on track; they simply have to meet certain minimum requirements known as critical-tracking criteria.
    • Critical-tracking criteria usually include a minimum GPA (UF or overall, depending on the college), completion of certain courses toward the major (critical-tracking or preprofessional courses) and a minimum GPA in the critical-tracking courses (tracking or preprofessional GPA). The critical tracking criteria for each major appear just before the recommended semester plan for that major; for many majors, critical-tracking courses are bolded in the semester plan. In the degree audit, critical-tracking criteria appear near the top of the audit.
    • All students admitted as freshmen are monitored in their first fall/spring semester for Semester 1 critical-tracking criteria, regardless of the number of hours earned by the student through dual enrollment and credit by examination.
    • An off-track student will have a hold placed on his/her registration to ensure that the student meets with an adviser to discuss his/her progress. This allows the student to determine what is necessary to get back on track, or to change to a more appropriate major.
    • If a student is off-track for two consecutive terms, he/she must change to a major more appropriate to the student’s goals and performance. Once the student selects a new major, he or she should contact the college offering that major to schedule an appointment with an adviser to discuss changing the major.
    • Advisers in the Academic Advising Center in 100 Farrior Hall can help students identify potential majors and can refer them to the appropriate college(s) for information about specific majors.
    Back to Top

    What is the purpose of monitoring a student's course work?

    The universal tracking system provides feedback on a student's progress in a major, helping them to find the best academic path to complete their degree.

    How do students stay on track for their major?

    Students must complete the required critical-tracking courses with the necessary grades each semester. These courses also are listed by major in the catalog. The critical-tracking criteria are simply minimum requirements for progression; students should consult their degree audit and their adviser to ensure they meet all requirements for graduation.

    How are students notified if they are off track for their major?

    Students will receive a hold on their registration that requires them to meet with an adviser. Students should review their holds on ISIS when planning their registration for the next semester.

    How can students find the tracking criteria for other majors?

    Back to Top

    How does a hold affect students?

    • Holds applied before advance registration prevent students from registering until they consult an adviser to develop an academic plan to complete the critical-tracking courses for the current major or identify a more appropriate major.
    • Holds applied at the end of the semester for failure to be on track for two consecutive semesters require students to see an adviser before the next term of enrollment to select a new major and to avoid cancellation of enrollment.

    How does a student change majors?

    Contact the advising office of the college that offers the major.

    What other resources are available to help select a new major?

    • Consult the advising center's exploratory webpages for detailed information about how to purposefully explore majors at UF. There are suggested plans as well as numerous links and resources to help students explore UF majors.
    • Academic Advising Center advisers can discuss the majors in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, as well as in other colleges.
    • The Career Resource Center in the Reitz Union offers workshops and other assistance to find a new major.
    Back to Top
info: academic-progress